Hi all and what a great site! ;)

Welcome -- introduce yourself!
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable
Quahappy
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/vendor/twig/twig/lib/Twig/Extension/Core.php on line 1266: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable

Hi all and what a great site! ;)

Postby Quahappy » 16 Jun 2007, 22:16

I'm sincerely hoping someone will be able to help me out with a request (or modification) but I'll post all about that laters...

I'm Quahappy (Andy) and for the curious, Qua comes from a Scrabble website where I met and married my wife and have four kids with fifth (and last!) on the way. Yep, I'm nuts, but hey, I like to keep busy! The Happy part comes from our autistic 5-year old son who despite being developmentally delayed by 2 years is, always happy!

I run with my wife, our own forum website which (version 2.0.22) that has aphrodite style throughout. MODs added is the Arcade/Activity MOD which is very popular with our mainly woman members, a Flash Chat Room where we have weekly quizzes, and apart from that, many other mods and little cosmetic tweaks I've done myself and no, I'm no php coder. I've created a website using HTML for a small community group which my wife pursuaded me to do even though she knew I had never done anything like this before...

In terms of programming, I have basic knowledge of html, do know how to install mods and modify files, but the last time I did any major programming was on the Amiga back in the 90's using AMOS Pro! Yeah, love to learn and get involved deeply with php, java, etc, but I just don't have the time anymore. :(

So there you are, a little about me, not much to go on except full-time househusband and webmaster. Interests - when I get the chance - is books by Terry Brooks, Stephen King, and currently working me way through Tommy Cooper biography.

As for phpBB, it's the best around! I do have phpBB3 RC1 installed as well but this is just a hidden test forum so I can my head round all the additional wealth of options and set-ups. I won't be converting to this until I know the Arcade mod gets released for it. ;)

Look forward to getting help here with any requests or questions I have!
Last edited by Quahappy on 17 Jun 2007, 07:20, edited 1 time in total.
If you don't ask....

igorw
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Re: Hi all and a what a great site! ;)

Postby igorw » 16 Jun 2007, 22:24

Wow, great intro! Welcome! Very cool story you have :D

I don't know if there's any other arcade MODs around, but here's one for sure: http://phpbbmodders.net/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=1811

- we're poor!

Noobarmy
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Postby Noobarmy » 17 Jun 2007, 05:02

welcome to modders! indeed a very interesting intro, most of us are too young to even have anythign to tell lol. well hopefully we can help you with what you need. look forward to seeing you around :)

igorw
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Postby igorw » 17 Jun 2007, 10:44

- we're poor!

Quahappy

Re: Hi all and what a great site! ;)

Postby Quahappy » 17 Jun 2007, 18:28

LOL. Now I DO feel old! heh heh. I did a game for the Amiga back in 1995 and spent 6 months solid doing programming, graphics and sound and lost hours debugging hunched over a keyboard 24/7. I can't say I miss it although like I've mentioned in first post, I'd like to make time to learn php, etc, but can't.... Unless someone develops a pill to keep me awake 24/7 then that'd be great!

Evil <3 - The Arcade MOD for phpBB3 looks excellent. First I've heard of it, probably because I've been hanging around phpBB-Arcade Mod website keeping eyes peeled for latest news.

Thanks all for the welcome. ;)
If you don't ask....

Noobarmy
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Postby Noobarmy » 17 Jun 2007, 19:45

lol i'm sure your not that old. age doesn't matter, if you feel young at heart it compensates (as old drathbun says :P). wow 1995 ... i would've been learning how to talk, igor (evil<3) would've started school haha. just to put things in perspective lol.

but yeah none the less. php is quite easy to learn. i was always in a hurry to learn but i don't see why you can't take like half an hour a day just to read some stuff. its generally quite a simple language when you already know other coding languages imo.

Quahappy

Postby Quahappy » 17 Jun 2007, 20:49

You're right. I should set aside time as after all, getting to know phpBB in-depth and php is in my interest especially for tweaks and stuff. Got some reference books but they are mainly on Java and html. The Java book was bought because my wife (yet again) "volunteered" me to do an online Scrabble game (don't laugh... LOL) but this time I managed to make her see the light of the timescale and complexity of it all. BIG project! Thankfully, and much to my relief, we have a programmer doing this for us as a sideline which we are hoping to get up and running by August this year on our website. As you say though, never to young to learn and let's face it, we all all learning new stuff no matter how old we are. ;)

Admittedly, I probably could have learnt php a lot sooner if it hadn't been for the fact the community website I did (all html) and the webspace (blueyonder) it was on didn't allow for php which buggered me up a bit to say the least!

1995 - yep, and still reliving the Amiga days in the form of WinUAE (emulator). Slam Tilt (Pinball) being my favourite game for this retro home computer lol.
If you don't ask....

bbrian017

Postby bbrian017 » 17 Jun 2007, 22:49

Welcome to the site, you're in the right place for mod requests :)
| | |

Quahappy

Postby Quahappy » 18 Jun 2007, 22:18

Cheers for the welcome bbrian017. And mod request I've done. ;)
If you don't ask....

Quahappy

Postby Quahappy » 17 May 2009, 20:15

Been a while since last visit to this site. Been busy with one thing or another. How are we all?

What's changed? Well, the community website I did, I've recently revamped (http://www.cliftonpark.org.uk) and resides on my paid for host webspace (was on Blue Yonder). Also done another for a friend (basic but does the job: http://www.greensjoinery.co.uk). So my knowledge of html and css has grown.

As for phpbb. Took phpBB2 offline nearly a month ago for a period of almost two weeks to upgrade to phpBB3 along with new Portal and Arcade. All went smooth thanks to phpBB2 > phpBB3 Conversion utility. Changed domain name but old domain (phpBB2) still accessible as some add-on MOD's are not yet available for phpBB3: Ultimate Quiz MOD (I'm beta tester for phpBB3 version), Flash Chat (which is available for phpBB3 - just not got round to doing it yet lol). Hangman: which was extremely popular and just found out that phpBB3 version has started development. Now looking at installing different style although admittedly I do like the default Prosilver now lol.

Thanks to the numerous MOD's installed and custom "tweaks" I like to assist helping fellow members at phpBB.com if I'm 100% sure of the answer. Returning the favour so to speak. :D

(Thanks to Igor for sorting out log-in problem I had btw ;) )
If you don't ask....

RMcGirr83
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Postby RMcGirr83 » 20 May 2009, 18:56

Andy, few things.

1) You aren't old at all...and I should know
2) Evil<3 and Noobarmy are old enough to be either of our sons...and that's about it.

:lol:

Aloha, welcome, etc., etc., etc.... :)

Ooopsie
Supporter
Supporter

Postby Ooopsie » 29 Dec 2010, 14:19

Greetings Rich!!

Ed (Ooopsie)

Oopsie
_____
Be who you are and say what you feel.
Those who mind don't matter.
Those who matter don't mind.
- Dr. Seuss

_____
And be kinder than necessary, for everyone
you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Return to “Introductions”