What would you like to see?

Discuss the development of future releases of phpBB (phpBB 3.x minor releases) and MODing/Coding related questions.
Obsidian
Supporter
Supporter

Re: What would you like to see?

Post by Obsidian »

LiamMac wrote:The ability to set a task with parameters like time or event, possibly linked to a calendar which links in with birthdays and event/milstones like 1,000 users achieved on this date viewable on the calendar.

Mmmm....I think that would be overkill.

LiamMac wrote:I would love to see a dedicated portal system fully integrated into the phpBB3 system with news posts from the forum such is found in most portals at the moment.

Oooohhhh...I agree. However, I think quite a few people would disagree about the setup of said portal system...

(Aside: Do you mean something like I use on my development site? http://infernalarcade.ej.am/ )

LiamMac wrote:I would also like to see a CMS based system for page generation. This could leave the door open for Mod Authors to make a page script which could be effectively loaded into a CMS created page for those who have no great coding knowledge but would like to have a separate page for simple text or maybe more complicated functions.

That I TOTALLY agree with. This would be something absolutely revolutionary, indeed!

Myself, I'd like to see better use of the Cron system. Having automated backups and database optimizations would be a vast improvement. 8-)
mtotheikle

Post by mtotheikle »

eviL<3 wrote:I think the best way to make mods secure in general is: to educate. People should know how security vurnabilities work in order to prevent them. Too bad they've started criminalising publication of software security hacking "guides" in germany, by making it illegal they just help those who know how to do it.

A bit offtopic and strange post, i know :P

100% agreed, many people are trying to get a huge site started or just a simple board start and they don't become educated on problems or difficulties they may run into and it is imperative that people become educated on what they plan on doing specially security related issues as it may affect not only them, but the visitors or members the site attracts.

Any way back on topic, I think the new event system will be great alone with the RSS feeds as feeds are a very handy way for people to view new content on a site.
EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

I'd like to see a lot of things.

Most of all, a good plugin system, something like I put together for the User Blog Mod. I setup a stand alone package here which I am hoping to use for other mods of mine:
http://www.phpbb.com/community/viewtopi ... &t=1074935

I really don't like how they seem to look at mods and the core though.

For example, it is written in the wiki article that they will be adding something like a FAQ Manager. You know what? I've already built a very good FAQ Manager that I'd gladly give them to include. The problem I see is, at least from past incidences they never would accept something like that because it is currently labeled as a Mod and built by somebody else.

Or for a plugins system, I would gladly help and work on putting together a plugins system for 3.2 if I could. I already have a system which works fabulously, but it's useless for phpBB3 without a lot of edits to place the hooks.
mtotheikle

Post by mtotheikle »

Apply for the MOD team and that might help get you somewhere! I know you have the talent and knowledge. :D
EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

I don't think that would work out too well.

It seems that a few of members of the phpBB teams don't like me very much, and I've gotten into more than a few arguments with many of them.
Ganon_Master
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Post by Ganon_Master »

xhotshotx wrote:Apply for the MOD team and that might help get you somewhere! I know you have the talent and knowledge. :D

*/me looks at Evil<3*
Semi_Deus
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Post by Semi_Deus »

Ganon_Master wrote:
xhotshotx wrote:Apply for the MOD team and that might help get you somewhere! I know you have the talent and knowledge. :D

*/me looks at Evil<3*

He's on vacation now, so that will take some time :P
Keep an eye on us, were back in business..
Ganon_Master
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Post by Ganon_Master »

Semi_Deus wrote:
Ganon_Master wrote:

*/me looks at Evil<3*

He's on vacation now, so that will take some time :P

He already PM-ed me a small reponse to that post a few hours ago. :lol:

But let's not go offtopic.
Dogs and things

Post by Dogs and things »

eviL<3 wrote:Security is a very important thing, and by including a system for automatically installing MODs it makes it easier to install MODs. This has a good side: It's much easier to install MODs, no more need to edit a million of files, you now have a program to do it for you. The downside however: less experienced people are able to install MODs, and it's hard to give them support. They install beta MODs in production environment and whatnot.

Hi Evil,

Wouldn't it be possible to make it so that the officially released MODs are assigned an encrypted code that needs to be fed to the MOD installer by the user before the installer can install that MOD, thus avoiding that alpha and beta MODs are installed using the installer?

Or is this just a plain useless idea?
Don´t ask me anything about modding as I know close to nothing. :-)
EXreaction

Post by EXreaction »

Dogs and things wrote:Hi Evil,

Wouldn't it be possible to make it so that the officially released MODs are assigned an encrypted code that needs to be fed to the MOD installer by the user before the installer can install that MOD, thus avoiding that alpha and beta MODs are installed using the installer?

Or is this just a plain useless idea?

I've thought about something like that as well. It would be possible to even have a built in browser for the ModDB.

The only thing would be that when setting it up like that there would have to be a pretty easy way to make it not check that (so Mod Authors and Testers don't have to do the installs manually and can test it).
igorw
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Post by igorw »

I don't like the idea of having it forced to be centralised at phpBB.com. Of course using MODs from the MODDB is a very good idea because they are checked for issues and tested. But it's not a good idea forcing this upon the users IMO. It's however most likely that people installing beta MODs with it will not recieve support. ;)
Obsidian
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Obsidian »

A better CAPTCHA would be nice, a foolproof one too.

[url=http://xkcd.com/233/][img]http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/a_new_captcha_approach.png[/img][/url]

:lol:
igorw
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Post by igorw »

Nice one :lol:, but make sure it's translatable. :D
xylogicz

Post by xylogicz »

i wanna see the dark knight
Watch one tree hill online
[url=http://watch-kylexy.com/]Watch Kyle xy online/url]
House

Post by House »

xylogicz wrote:i wanna see the dark knight

:shock:
Women should be obscene and not heard. X)