What would you like to see?

Discuss the development of future releases of phpBB (phpBB 3.x minor releases) and MODing/Coding related questions.
harmlessgoat22
Supporter
Supporter

Re: What would you like to see?

Post by harmlessgoat22 »

I actually find this mode extremely irritating. I think facebook does it better. They have a link to the post it is replying to, but it does nest it or anything. Just same order.
That's like, I can't beat my neighbor in an argument, so instead I kill his dog.
-Best English Teacher Ever
igorw
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Post by igorw »

There's some more information on some of the plans for ascraeus here: http://www.phpbb.com/blog/2008/09/19/lo ... -ascraeus/
House

Post by House »

I might be a real dork for admitting this, but this just made my day. :mrgreen:

Igor's link wrote:Some features the new BBCode parser has:

* stack-based parsing
* ability to use BBCodes for any text-column
* ability to parse BBCodes on demand
for example BBCodes possible in word censors
* no separation between custom and built-in BBCodes
* Custom BBCodes regular expression support
* Change storage mechanism for BBCodes (separating entered text and parsed text)
Women should be obscene and not heard. X)
Obsidian
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Obsidian »

Well, for me, I was surprised at these three:

• Topic Title Prefixes
  • Special maintenance forums (Trash Can, Archiving)
  • Soft Delete

Could they be learning people want those things...? :o
Mr. Bond

Post by Mr. Bond »

Nice to see them letting the public know of their plans. :D

Subsilver2 to be dropped :shock: That's going to upset a lot of people, especially the many stylers who have created subsilver2 3.0 styles :?
Twitter • Ohloh • GitHub
House

Post by House »

Mr. Bond wrote:Subsilver2 to be dropped :shock: That's going to upset a lot of people, especially the many stylers who have created subsilver2 3.0 styles :?

They can't keep it there forever, and I'd rather see it go away.

subSilver2 was a maintenance style for public development. - Not a design decision meant for the future. And stylers who really love their table-based designs can still do so afterward. It just means that they have to keep track of the changes and put some more effort into it, instead of being able to rely on a provided diff file every few months. ;)

But I will say this, though it's a bit off-topic: I appreciated the subSilver templates more than the ones out for proSilver now. If you look at version 2 and all of the different styles that were created, and the depth they gave, you'd be a tad depressed at the lack of originality in most of these (for the most part) recolors paraded around as new designs. - I miss that from the 2.0 days. But then again, I've been telling people that for what feels like ages now. We need new design ideas and template layouts that actually work.

[/oldtimer's-rant]
Ganon_Master
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Post by Ganon_Master »

House wrote:We need new design ideas and template layouts that actually work.

Wich is one of the most important things designers forget these days. Designing is not about fancy colors, it's about bringing your content to your users effectively. With just taking a little bit more time to sketch out a draft on paper (yes, paper), you can produce a far greater design then just diving into Photoshop unprepared and just throwing decorations all over the place.

But that's something for another topic.

I'm looking forward to see the framework changes. I use the phpBB framework for a lot of websites, even though I don't need the forum features for most of them. However, it's a pain to extract the phpBB bits from them. So the framework changes would be good for me.
drixie

Post by drixie »

The MOD system needs to be revamped. The MODx system was beautiful bullshit. If I can edit php files, why couldnt I read the instructions from a notepad file.

That said, open source softwares are more accepted when they are easy to tweak.

For instance, in wordpress, all you have to do is put plugins in a folder and activate in the admin. No headaches, no hours spent over editing many files and then finding out it wouldnt work and then overwriting everything with a backup you made before modding. Thats prolly why [url=http://bbpress.org]bbpress[/url] and [url=http://getvanilla.com]vanilla[/url] are getting more popular.

I love phpbb, I really do but...
House

Post by House »

drixie wrote:That said, open source softwares are more accepted when they are easy to tweak.

For instance, in wordpress, all you have to do is put plugins in a folder and activate in the admin. No headaches, no hours spent over editing many files and then finding out it wouldnt work and then overwriting everything with a backup you made before modding. Thats prolly why [url=http://bbpress.org]bbpress[/url] and [url=http://getvanilla.com]vanilla[/url] are getting more popular.

I love phpbb, I really do but...

Each project serves their own focus. If someone likes Vanilla or bbPress, then by all means, they might as well use it. That's just part of the open-source philosophy, and is no harm to phpBB. (We would never let anyone hurt our favorite excuse to stay home and code. :twisted:)

The suggestion: How do we make phpBB easier and more attractive to use [modify/tweak] (like WordPress).
    The honest answer on this subject: It's really more of a non-issue? o_O

First of all, these scripts all serve their purpose, and have different aims. (Note: If you've opened a WordPress file lately, the code is still a mess. So is that of bbPress and Vanilla.. I've known them both in a past life). But the real thing to take note of is that the model of a blogging system, especially as designed by a project like WP, that's really very much aimed at appealing to anyone in the low to mid level user-facing range, is different than that of, let's say, a robust and highly scalable, full bulletin board solution; phpBB. The products are just different. Blog, message board. Blog, message board. So there are different reasonable expectations that come with either.

I'm not saying that a good plugin/extn system isn't plausible, but I'd like to point out that it's not necessarily even needed. A tool like Blinky/PacMan blurs that line, minus a built-in MOD browser. And the problem you described is that the MOD itself is broken, not exactly the process of MODding your board.

To boot, let's try and put this in an even better context. An Administrator doesn't *need* to be intently interested in how it works, but they do need to be an actual administrator of their board and website. Which means learning some good basics, which really are very few, and anything more is at the individual's own discretion and as they progress towards larger goals.

If the individual either can't or won't read the provided documentation, and ask questions (actually a bonus that people would want to help them, but we really do :P), then there's nothing that leads me to suspect that they'd have the time or curiosity involved in building or supporting a community. However large or small and personal that community would be.

Olympus is as easy to tweak or completely turn on its head as any other BBS available, if not more so. (Anyone want to take bets on just how much more so? ;P) So with Blinky in consideration and development to take out the hassle of editing a bunch of files (the real issue), maybe this complaint should be directed toward the faulty MODs department? [url=http://startrekguide.com/community/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&u=2]Linkage. XD[/url]

Also, please think [img]http://www.infinityhouse.org/cboard/images/smilies/knierumbear.gif[/img] and not so much [img]http://www.infinityhouse.org/cboard/images/smilies/soapbox.gif[/img]? I wasn't trying to make such a long post. [img]http://www.infinityhouse.org/cboard/images/smilies/aheh_ehh.gif[/img]
X@MPP

Post by X@MPP »

What About Forum Bots like the phpbb.com MOD Bot and Auto post bots. :fruitpunch:
bonelifer
Administrator
Administrator

Post by bonelifer »

Those aren't really bots. That's a COMMON account that the Team members have access too. This is the answer that's been given on several occasions on .com.
Obsidian
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Obsidian »

X@MPP wrote:What About Forum Bots like the phpbb.com MOD Bot and Auto post bots. :fruitpunch:

It may not be built into 3.0.x or 3.1.x, but it's easily done on your own actually. ;)
Derky
Supporter
Supporter

Post by Derky »

bonelifer wrote:Those aren't really bots. That's a COMMON account that the Team members have access too. This is the answer that's been given on several occasions on .com.

As far as I know, those bots are being controlled by the MOD and Styles DB trough submit_post().
ImagephpBB3 Styles • phpBB3 Styles Demo • phpBB3 Styles Database
igorw
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Post by igorw »

The posts are created automatically using submit_post(). :) We also have some bots here on phpBBModders.net. Mostly they are just nubs but one also handles our contact form. :)
Semi_Deus
Past Contributor
Past Contributor

Post by Semi_Deus »

Francis [Bot] FTW! :lol:
(Sorry, only Igor will get this :mrgreen: )
Keep an eye on us, were back in business..